The lunge strengthens the muscles of the upper leg and hips.
- Stand next to a counter or sturdy chair with your feet about shoulder-width apart. Hold the counter or chair with your right hand for balance.
- Take a large step forward with your right foot.
- Bend your right knee and lower your hips toward the floor. Make sure that your right knee stays above your right ankle as you lower.
- Push against the floor with your right foot to raise yourself up and step back to the starting position.
- Repeat 10 times with your right leg for one set.
- Rest for one to two minutes. Then repeat with your left leg.
Make sure you:
- Don't allow your front knee to move forward past your toes.
- Keep your upper body straight and erect during the exercise. Don't lean forward or backward.
- Try to lower your hips until your front thigh is parallel to the floor. If that's too difficult, just lower as far as you can.