If a walk in the park no longer seems easy or enjoyable, the "toe stand" exercise is for you! A good way to strengthen your calves and ankles and restore stability and balance, it will help make that stroll in the park fun and relaxing.
- Near a counter or sturdy chair, stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Use the chair or counter for balance.
- To a count of four, slowly push up as far as you can, onto the balls of your feet and hold for two to four seconds.
- Then, to a count of four, slowly lower your heels back to the floor.
- Repeat 10 times for one set. Rest for one to two minutes. Then complete a second set of 10 repetitions.
Make sure you:
- Don't lean on the counter or chair—use them for balance only.
- Breathe regularly throughout the exercise.