This is an excellent exercise for strengthening the muscles of the back of the upper leg, known as the hamstrings. When done in conjunction with the knee extension, it makes walking and climbing easier.
- Put on your ankle weights.
- Stand behind a sturdy chair, with feet shoulder-width apart and facing forward.
- Keeping your foot flexed, to a count of two slowly bend your right leg, bringing your heel up toward your buttocks.
- Pause. Then, to a count of four, slowly lower your foot back to the ground.
- Repeat 10 times with your right leg and 10 times with your left leg for one set. Rest for a minute or two. Then complete a second set of 10 repetitions with each leg.
Make sure you:
- Keep the thigh of the bending leg in line with the supporting leg at all times.
- Keep the foot on the bending leg flexed throughout the move.